Cinnamon buns. Bunzzzz. BUN-ZUH.
Anyone get the Animorphs reference? Please? Am I seriously that uncool?
With Fall in full swing, I need warm, gooey, cinnamon-y things in my life. Pumpkin obviously came first but I gotta show some love to other Fall flavors, too, ya know? And thanks to my friend Brittany–who ALWAYS asks me to make her cinnamon rolls and I promise to do it and then never do–I made cinnamon roll…cupcakes. Same thing. Except you can put an obnoxious amount of frosting on a cupcake. Then spoon more frosting into your face-hole right out of the bowl. Alone. At 2 am.
Ross told me these were the best cupcakes I’ve ever made. He says that a lot, but I’ll pretend like they really are. At the very least this is MY favorite frosting EVER…I mean brown butter? And BOURBON? ZOMG. I could get drunk off these cupcakes. Again.
How I learned to frost cupcakes. I use disposable bags with a Wilton tip set–these are
- Cinnamon Swirl:
- 1/3 c maple syrup
- 1/3 c palm sugar
- 1 T cinnamon
- 1/2 c coconut flour
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 c cashew butter (or coconut manna for a nut free option)
- 1/2 c maple syrup
- 1/3 c palm sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 t vanilla
- 8 oz organic cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 c browned butter, cooled (see note for instructions)
- 1/3 c maple syrup
- 1-2 T bourbon
- For the cinnamon swirl, combine the maple syrup, palm sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- For the cupcakes, add all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the cashew butter, maple syrup, eggs, and egg whites and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to wet.
- Beat with an electric mixer on HIGH for 2 minutes (this step is key to a good, fluffy texture)
- Fill lined cupcake tine 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, then remove and add a drizzle of cinnamon swirl to each one, then return to the oven for 10 more minutes.
- For the frosting, beat the browned butter, cream cheese, maple syrup, and bourbon in a large bowl (to prevent spatter) until smooth and creamy.
- Frost the cupcakes when the have cooled completely.
- Or just eat the frosting straight from the bowl in a dark corner of your house. I’m not one to judge.
OMG…SERIOUS SALIVATION offering …THIS…
You make Paleo fun and deprivation feelings simply cannot exist with such an palate-pleasing decadent brunch idea…Thanks for sharing your ingenuity! Off to bake these bourbon beauties…
You can certainly see your enthusiasm in the article you write.
The sector hopes for even more passionate writers such as
you who are not afraid to mention how they believe.
All the time go after your heart.
Sweet mother of pearl- who knew paleo could look like this? I die (and I pin).
Could this recipe be made into a cake?
Of course! I would double it if you wanted to make 2 layers. When I did the twinkie cake I found that one cupcake recipe (the one here) made a single, 9-inch round very nicely. Same temp, 30-35 mins, but check with a toothpick. I’d definitely line the pans with parchment, too, since coconut flour baked goods stick like nothing else!
If you try it, let me know how it goes!
This recipe looks very scrumptious and I definitely want to make it-but having just been introduced to your blog today, I don’t know where to buy coconut flour. I live in Los Angeles, so know that it must be somewhere closeby! Also is the Coconut manna the same as Coconut oil (from Sprouts or Trader Joe’s) or if not, where can I find the “manna” too? I am on a lowest-carb version of the paleo diet in order to stay in a mild state of ketosis (fat burning) so I have one more question, do you have any recommendations for lower fat butter brands and/or can you use butter flavored extract to reduce calories/fat/carbs in this recipe? Best, Kathleen
If all else fails, Amazon has both! But any Whole Foods of health food store should have them. I do know that my local Shop Rite has coconut flour!
Pingback: Pumpkin Cupcakes |
Pingback: Apple Cake with Maple Cream Cheese | OMG Amazing Pictures - Most Amazing Pictures on The Internet
Pingback: Top 10 of 2013! |
Pingback: 10 Mouthwatering Gluten-Free Cinnamon Rolls | Paleo Grubs
Pingback: 10 Mouthwatering Gluten-Free Cinnamon Rolls | Get Fit Bookmark