I hate that bit of conventional dieting wisdom that says you should “go to bed hungry.” Look, if I’m hungry, then as far as I’m concerned, relaxing enough to get to sleep is the last thing I’m going to be able to do–when I’m hungry, my eyes glaze over and I want to kill everyone and everything withing reach. So, yeah, Bob Harper? Go to bed hungry? Not on your life.
Getting back into the “competitive” routine, though, means that once again I’m eating more frequent and smaller meals. During the day this is great, since I’m always full and my workouts are better, I’m more awake, yadda yadda. But around bedtime? The 3-4 ounces of protein at Meal 5, aka “Dinner” is all gone and my tummy is rumbling. Last week I made a quick habit of these (Vanilla Maple? F**K YES!)…buuuuuut even I can’t delude myself into thinking that this is a sustainable addiction. Maybe just every other day…?
These muffins, besides being super convenient as a single-serve recipe deal, are super filling (thanks to the coconut flour!) and HUGE. Honestly, half with a schmear of almond butter is enough. Well, it should be, but I eat with my eyes, so I need the whole thing. But it fills me up without making me feel like I ate a brick the next morning. If you wanna get meathead-y like me, you can also take note of the protein content…perfect for overnight recovery! Add into the mix a very high fiber source of carbs and healthy monounsaturated fat from all that coconut. What’s not to like?
- 2T coconut flour
- 3T vanilla protein powder (I used whey)
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1 t cinnamon
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 t lemon juice
- 3T unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- Rub the inside of a coffee mug with a little coconut oil (to prevent sticking)
- Place all of the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk them together.
- Add the wet ingredients and mix until there are NO LUMPS.
- Spoon the batter into the coffee mug.
- Pop the mug into the microwave on HIGH for 90 seconds.
- Rotate the mug and nuke for another 90 seconds.
- Depending on the individual settings of your microwave, this might take a little longer or shorter. Check the done-ness with a toothpick.
- When baked through, let the cake cool for a minute or two, then gently remove from the mug by loosening the edges with a knife and inverting on a plate.
- Enjoy with a hot cup of decaf!
Looks good! If I don’t have protein powder will this recipe still work?