Remember these? Maybe? I’ve been making a lot of my older recipes lately and this was WAY overdue. Easily one of my favorites, even Ross loved it and, like me, the old sloppy joes with the Hunt’s sauce from a can was a childhood staple.
You can serve this stuff over cauliflower rice, veggies, just straight from a bowl like chili (with some cheese!) or however you’d like!
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 2 T Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 (28oz) can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 T Rice Vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- 1 t Sea Salt
- 1 t Black Pepper
- 1 t Dry Mustard
- 1/4 t Cumin
- 2 t Fresh Grated Ginger (or 1/8 t powdered)
- 1 t Garlic Powder
- 3 T Tomato Paste
- Brown the beef in the oil and transfer to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion to the beef drippings and saute until translucent, then add to the beef.
- Puree the tomatoes in a food processor, then add to the beef and onion.
- Add the vinegar, lemon juice, and seasonings. Bring to a simmer, then add the tomato paste. Whisk to eliminate any lumps.
- Turn the heat down to low and allow to cook for 2-3 hours. If you can leave it for longer, even better–the flavor will be even more rich!