If you know me at all, you know I really don’t care about making sure my recipes are “light” or “healthy” or “skinny” or whatever. The Paleo/Primal way of eating, by definition, is a hell of a lot better than the Standard American Diet, and I’ve found that just avoiding crappy ingredients makes a world of difference–even when you’re making comfort food. Fish and Chips happens to be one of my all time favorite comfort foods, so I got some tilapia and some sweet potatoes, was all set to make up a nice batter and fry everything up in some coconut oil, and then…I just pooped out. I’m mid-move, you guys. I’m tired. I’m cranky. I just wanted dinner on the table when Ross came home and was NOT in the mood for anything requiring any cranial activity.
So, here’s what I did…I made sweet potato fries like I always do, except with some vinegar because that’s how they always give them to you when the whole mess is served out of a truck wrapped in newspaper. Then I took the fish, threw them on a baking sheet, and seasoned the heck out of them with all the flavors that you’d expect from the fried variety. Think lemon, thyme, a little oregano, garlic, and (obviously) salt. I know every recipe varies the batter a little bit but I really tried to capture what I would say (in my own experience) is the quintessential fish and chips experience. And it definitely did not disappoint. But I was tired, so maybe I’m just full of it. Either way, the whole thing took 30 minutes, most of it spent racked on the couch, so I’ll call that a win.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 tilapia or cod filets
- 1 t oregano
- 1 t thyme
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t onion powder
- 1 T salt
- 1/2 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut your potatoes up into fries. Place them in a mixing bowl with the vinegar, oil, and salt and mix them up really well.
- Spread on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 30 minutes
- Place your filets on a baking sheet.
- Mix up all the seasonings and sprinkle over the tilapia filets.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon over the filets.
- After the sweet potatoes have been cooking for 15 minutes, place the tray of fish into the oven with them. Bake 15 minutes more.