Are you pumped for the Superbowl?? I brought snacks!
Whether you’re here for the camaraderie, the commercials, or the Big Game itself…admit it. You’re always here for the snacks.
Are these horrible for you? Totally depraved and likely to give you a coronary? God, yes. They’re fried hunks of cheese dipped in beer. You’re at risk of a heart attack if you’re in a 500 meter radius of these things.
But today we do not care. For the Superbowl, nothing else will do.
Superbowl snacks are probably my favorite holiday spread. And yes, that includes Thanksgiving. I mean, it’s a full 4-5 hours of beer and finger foods…most of which are fried and covered in cheese, hot sauce, and/or ranch dressing.
On this day, vegetables have no place in my home. Obviously, with notable exceptions made for guacamole, salsa, and the celery sticks that come with hot wings.
I will not, however, be deep frying anything else for a while. On the one hand, sure, I should probably eat more salads since I’ve been doing a piss-poor job of weaning myself off holiday goodies. But it’s also a miracle I didn’t set myself or anyone/thing on fire yesterday.
Live and learn.
But I also confirmed, yet again, that anything can be made better when deep fried. So everyone wins.
These are basically fat little tortilla chip sandwiches oozing with cheese on the inside. And of course the crispy fried batter brings it all to a whole new level of fluffy-flaky-crispity-crunchity goodness. So really more of a little empanada or sopapilla with a little mozzarella stick action going on, too.
Except better. Obviously.
You can most definitely add extra fillings…I’m doing another batch with some sausage this evening. I also used corn tortillas, but any kind would work. I know! SO MANY OPTIONS!!
Most important? From conception to consumption…a half hour.
That’s super important when I have so many better things to do today. Like, you know, parking myself on the couch and watching the game. And eating. Lots of eating.
Crispy, crunchy, flaky, gooey beer battered and fried cheese quesadillas.
- 1/2 c white rice flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c beer
- 8-10 tortillas
- 3 c shredded Jack or cheddar cheese
- oil for frying
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and spray with oil or cooking spray.
- Lay a tortilla down in the skillet and sprinkle with desired amount of cheese.
- When the cheese starts to melt, fold the tortilla in half to make a quesadilla.
- Brown on both sides, then remove from the pan, cut into wedges and set aside. Repeat with remaining tortillas and cheese.
- Meanwhile, add about a half inch to an inch of oil to a heavy-bottomed pan or pot.
- Whisk together the rice flour, egg, and beer.
- When the oil is hot, dip the finished quesadilla wedges into the batter, coating both sides.
- In batches, fry the quesadillas for about 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Serve with salsa and guac!